2011-08-08 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Need some basics

Header Data

From: Tim White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: 837db5e9d172d3f187e85c5b548e174530445446afa1e2ecd981d908a377d6fb
Message ID: <4E407A0A.6030703@gmail.com>
Reply To: <4E3FAE3E.8040907@hotel-felsentor.de>
UTC Datetime: 2011-08-08 17:06:34 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 10:06:34 +1000

Raw message

Hi Steffen.

The wlan Access points need to ensure that they don't handle DHCP, and
instead allow the grase server to handle DHCP. Ideally the best devices
for doing this are those that are pure wireless access points (without
any routing stuff). The following link gives basic instructions for
setting up the dd-wrt as a basic wireless access point.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point

I would try setting the wireless access points ip address outside of the
10.1.0.1 network, and use the LAN port to connect to the grase server.
(I don't have a dd-wrt, I'm going by what I read in the link and my
understanding of how it's working). That way, your access points admin
stuff won't be accessible to people what are using the access point
(unless they know it's a dd-wrt and can guess that subnet you have it
running on) as they'll be in the subnet that grase is using, and not the
subnet that the access point is using. Obviously some testing will be
needed to see if this will work.

If you'll never have more than a few computers using the hotspot, then
I'd use 10.1.0.251-253 which shouldn't cause any problems as ip
addresses are handed out starting at 10.1.0.2. I'll look at reserving
about 10 addresses for people to set static devices to.

Hope that makes some sense.

Tim

On 08/08/11 19:37, Hotel Restaurant Felsentor wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i've succesfully setup my first grase-hotspot-server. (default lan-ip 10.1.0.1)
>
> now i want to connnect several wlan-Accesspoints via ethernet (running dd-wrt). what ip-addresses are they allowed to use for themselves?

Thread