2011-10-11 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Re Logging

Header Data

From: Tim White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: 2b0bbd5f379b991dafeea6e55527ddd04d0128870fd25560c406a09d774a2627
Message ID: <4E94AB61.1080003@gmail.com>
Reply To: <CAPfECMEtBQPCvgDVgPQtA+fvwZiqW75+8bLan_4jZN70xVLb8A@mail.gmail.com>
UTC Datetime: 2011-10-11 13:47:29 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 06:47:29 +1000

Raw message

It's interesting that you say all you need is ip, time and url. For
example, if someone downloads a torrent file (which is the most common
way of downloading movies atm), and then actually downloads the movie
via bittorrent while on your connect, you won't have anything in your
logs to show. All the torrent traffic is on ports other than 80, and
don't involve a url at all. (And lots of torrents are now trackerless,
so no url's from the tracker connection ether).

Ether way, look at setting up a cron job to copy the squid logs once a
month and you should have plenty of ips, times and urls from that! If
you go through the database backups too, you'll even be able to match
the ip to a mac address.

Tim