2011-10-11 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Logging

Header Data

From: Tim White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: d463997e8d4b39fd88025cb9ab3101fdee5548d8895db4407ca98757b9eda515
Message ID: <4E943DEA.6060900@gmail.com>
Reply To: <CAPfECMEokL4z3jkqoff7hHcDEzsiL0M4-GD8pF+b1w2pYhJfVQ@mail.gmail.com>
UTC Datetime: 2011-10-11 06:00:26 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 23:00:26 +1000

Raw message

On 11/10/11 18:48, Marty Thompson wrote:
> Hi all is there a way to log data for legal reasons
> IE: fraud from a ip thats your hotspot
> cheers marty

Hi Marty,

What in particular do you want to log? By default, all traffic on port
80 goes through the Squid proxy, which keeps logs for about 1 month.
(Check in /etc/logrotate.d/squid3 i think for exact details). So this is
all normal un-encrypted web traffic. (And it logs the url's, not the
entire contents). The session logs are currently kept for a month (so
mac address, ip address, access times and data used) although because it
does automatic backups nightly, when the logs are cleared from sql at
the start of the next month, you can extract them from the backup files
easily.

Given my original location I wrote the hotspot for, I assume it's legal
for hotspot operators to log identifying data. If there is anyone in a
country that needs the hotspot to not log any identifying data, I'll
have to work something out.

Hope that makes some sense.