2011-12-15 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Ip address against Mac address

Header Data

From: Tim White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: b8051f58b21d63d0d644c1b7e259dd9e032014d38dac204376994dab81719b58
Message ID: <4EEA8D3D.3060903@gmail.com>
Reply To: <4EEA066A.2090105@htreasure.com>
UTC Datetime: 2011-12-15 17:13:49 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 08:13:49 +0800

Raw message

On 15/12/11 22:38, info wrote:
> Hello All Grase Contributor,
>
> I don't know if all this possible,
>
> 1. I want to create computer for i-pad and i need to enter the Mac
> address, i login as
>
> admin but can not fine the mac address (until when look through the
> phone),
>
> Tim can this be possible in admin panel?
If the ipad has had a session through the hotspot (so you've logged in
to the internet), then in the session logs, if you click on it's ip
address in there, it will give you the mac address. There is currently
no easy way if it hasn't had a session. It's probably a good idea to
open a feature request for "showing all active dhcp clients" so you can
easily add the machine that way.

> 2. Tim just think (if an admin forget his or her password) there is no
> session to reset admin password
>
> or how can i reset my password as an Admin?
Because the admin accounts are tied to anything like an email address,
there is no easy way to make a password reset that only the admin can
use. If there are multiple admins, another admin can just delete and
recreate the other admins account. If all admins have forgotten their
password then you'll need to edit the mysql database to reset the passwords.

> 3. going on city wide scale hotspot (how can i grase admint more than
> 250 Ip address at a time) or is it
>
> possible for grase to handle more the 250 ip address at simultaneously?

In the network settings, it has a netmask field. Just increase the size
of the netmask to get more than ~250 ips. However, you probably want to
do some reading about netmasks and networks before you increase it
really large. You are better running multiple servers depending on how
powerful a server you are running. Grase can handle many users, but can
your hardware?
On a city wide scale, how are all the wireless access points connecting
back to grase? It may be better to have a number of smaller "hotspot
zones" that all use the 1 grase server, but each handles it's own
traffic. (Install grase on each machine, but change the mysql and
freeradius settings to point to a master server. Currently not easy to
setup if you don't understand the basics of how grase work, but should
be fairly simple.