2012-04-18 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Progress on Forum

Header Data

From: Johnny Solbu <so***u@solbu.net>
Message Hash: 3e7eb2fd2f46003326222ae3c8a745d2043758628d5fa6d2c1743d9218b722a7
Message ID: <201204190329.59872.solbu@solbu.net>
Reply To: <4F8F3D85.8080405@gmail.com>
UTC Datetime: 2012-04-18 18:29:55 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 02:29:55 +0100

Raw message

On Thursday 19 April 2012 00:17, Tim White wrote:
> I'm investigating Phorum as our new Forum,
> and currently working on mailing list integration.

If you enable sending messages to the mailinglist from the forum, I will be leaving the list all together. This will also mean I'm leaving the project, since the list is the main communication channel, as far as I understand.
The reason beeing, you cannot find a workable solution for stopping spam on forums.

As someone who's been running several mailman lists, one of which have aproximately 700 members, and a few forums, I know what I'm talking about.
There are companies in Asia, and possibly Africa, who's business model is manually register on forums, clicking the "I confirm" link in email, and then publish a variyng amount of spam posts on forums, on behalf of clients who purchase advertisements.
There exist no (re)captcha method that solves this problem.

I have no problem with a forum, I have problem with integrating a forum into a mailinglist.

--
Johnny A. Solbu
web site, http://www.solbu.net

Thread