2012-06-23 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Assign Static address to WAN port

Header Data

From: Timothy White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: 5072cf1f7687679e7074eb500a489727d9100fe17355cc51239ff0e65dafcc90
Message ID: <CAESLx0JNSigHWy9Y+nRh731iKQOzwZG9tfgKgXzEn9SaHYCzkg@mail.gmail.com>
Reply To: <99DF9CFBA2E2D947A37658DFB2AE72BB4B4E7158@G4W3210.americas.hpqcorp.net>
UTC Datetime: 2012-06-23 16:57:44 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 07:57:44 +0800

Raw message

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 12:07 AM, Pollington, Glyn
<Gl***n@hp.com> wrote:
> The site where I have installed the hotspot have been a lot of problems of
> late, which I think i have identified as an issue with the DHCP server in
> their router.  I have just assigned static addresses to all their Windows 7
> PCs because they kept falling off the network. I am pretty sure that it is
> the dhcp at fault because the hotspot keeps dying and doing an ifconfig
> tells me it has the wan address 127.0.0.1 Rebooting it can fix the problem (
> I guess restarting the right services would have the same effect.
>
> Can you tell me if it is allowed to set a static address on the wan port and
> if so how I would go about doing it?

Hi Glyn.
It sounds like the DHCP server has failed somehow, so you'd need to
restart the networking services and hope the dhcp server answers.
Static IP makes most sense for sure! I recommend DHCP as the majority
of locations have DHCP already running and it makes it plug and play,
but it is just a router after all, so static is fine, you can even do
routing instead of NAT if needed!
See http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration#Configuring_the_interface_manually
for some pointers on how to setup a static network card. Make sure you
set it up for the correct WAN port, as the wrong settings will stop
everything from working!

Assuming you are using Ubuntu Server or Debian without Network
Manager, you'll have a line like "iface eth0 inet dhcp" already in the
interfaces file. That's the one you'll want to be changing to static,
and gateway is important!

Let me know if you get stuck, and show me your /etc/network/interfaces file.