2012-06-19 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] 5Gb ticket problem

Header Data

From: Timothy White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: 6d786c4181a5dd2f1eb83a4e38427bcaf4119e66f9422678bbec0fa88d51126e
Message ID: <CAESLx0+oMYGFDUvCThMAKdgiP2TVKLxaw6w-99SmZPFKNwdbvQ@mail.gmail.com>
Reply To: <1340111505.99254.YahooMailNeo@web161403.mail.bf1.yahoo.com>
UTC Datetime: 2012-06-19 17:38:20 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 08:38:20 +0800

Raw message

Just done some investigations relating to this. Turns out it's a
limitation in Freeradius. See
http://freeradius.1045715.n5.nabble.com/Problem-with-rml-sqlcounter-with-GigaByte-datavolume-td4455164.html

When I have my development machine in a few weeks, I'll look at diving
into the freeradius code and patching it to work. I'll also see if I
can find some sort of workaround to make it work properly for older
code. There is a ticket already regarding the display of 5Gb tickets,
I assume you probably filed it. http://trac.grasehotspot.org/ticket/38
I'll ether work on that ticket or link it to another one with the
freeradius issues.

Unfortunately I won't have a fix in the next few weeks as it seems
it'll require changes to freeradius. I've been trying hard to not
modify the components we use, so that there is less code we need to
maintain (we have a custom coova chilli version, but finally the
patches we've maintained have been integrated into coova chilli so our
coova chilli is now closer to the mainstream one!).

The best interim solution (not ideal I know) is to issue 4Gb tickets
and 1Gb tickets. Unfortunately there is not "transparent" interim
solution that I can work out, the work arounds other people have used
is to use rlm_perl to write their own handling code, which is not a
good way at all!
You'll notice it also has issues with displaying large volumes of
traffic uploaded/downloaded in the status window, this is a javascript
issue so I'll address that separately as well.

I'd personally not reached this limit before, as previously it was a
2Gb limit and when that was fixed I didn't know that it was now
limited at 4Gb. Most of the places I use the hotspot are time limited,
not data limited.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention, and sorry a fix won't be
available soon.

Tim