2012-07-04 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Weird Bug I really Need Help

Header Data

From: Timothy White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: bd679a6fdc4a5f72497c62c6e5059a5dc6273db11790cee26b35b0916bd5d2ac
Message ID: <CAESLx0Kh9SdZ=suArneP0mx_KwwN1-xn6UM129QnNPkm+Q=Czw@mail.gmail.com>
Reply To: <000f01cd59f5$01d24730$0576d590$@ca>
UTC Datetime: 2012-07-04 14:19:09 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2012 07:19:09 +1000

Raw message

Hi Dave.

Let me try and make sure I'm understanding it correctly, so nothing is
getting lost in the English.

Firstly, the AP's are in bridge, so we don't need to worry about their
IP's. As can be seen, the campers get an ip in the 10.1.0.1 range, and
the wireless bridge acts just like a network cable carrying layer 2
info.

Now here is where I get lost a bit. Every website works #1? Do you
mean, that every website works the first time you access it, and then
after that the googles and facebook's stop working? Does google and
facebook work only for the first user, and then not for other uses?
Once it stops working, is there anything that does work? Can you ping
it. What about if you access the https version?
(https://www.google.com)? Can you access the https version from the
very start before everything breaks?

What I'd like to see you do, is connect the laptop via a cable to eth0
of the hotspot server, and see if it still stops working. If it does
stop working, let me know the session id in the admin interface, so I
can see what's in the squid logs for that session. (And the vpn ip
address again)

The timeout page, is it a squid timeout page, or browser timeout page?

Also, try setting your DNS server in the admin interface, to point to
your RT-N16 router, so DNS is consistent. It's possible that you are
getting DNS from external to Canada, but there being routing issues,
and your RT-N16 gives DNS internal to Canada which doesn't have
routing issues.

I'm going to confirm disabling squid, to take that out of the picture.
But seeing the squid logs for a session that doesn't work, will really
help. I'm a little worried it's actually a layer2 routing issue on the
wireless bridge, and while I'm planning on getting some Ubiquiti gear
myself in the future, I don't have any to test with currently. If the
problem doesn't exist when the laptop is plugged into eth0 of the
hotspot, it rules the hotspot out and we can try and work out what the
ubiquiti gear is doing wrong. Also, what is the distance the link
covers?

Tim