2013-01-29 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] 3.7.7.6 To be released shortly

Header Data

From: Tim White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: c20614ee4593ff7fcae958eafe58add9f5dd775f97ebb48be9d0a8db8e0fe2f1
Message ID: <51077886.1050505@gmail.com>
Reply To: <51077501.2060807@gmail.com>
UTC Datetime: 2013-01-29 00:21:42 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 17:21:42 +1000

Raw message

On 29/01/13 17:06, Tim White wrote:
> To everyone who hasn't been testing the dev versions, 3.7.7.6 will be
> pushed to stable shortly.
>
> If you don't want it to automatically update, see
> http://trac.grasehotspot.org/wiki/FAQ_T1_F3 for how to disable.
>
> HOWEVER, I strongly advise you update as there is a security fix in
> 3.7.7.6
>
> Tim
I should also note, that after this release I'm planning for more
frequent but smaller releases. This release has been way too long in the
coming, with some big fixes that haven't been released for 6 months.
What this will probably mean is that I'll do a few minor point releases
(3.7.7.x) to the dev repo, and then a point release (3.7.x) to the
stable repo. "Major" release won't really happen, although if something
major changes, then I might make it a major release. Alternatively, when
all the features I feel like putting in the major release are done, I'll
release the 3.x release, however it won't have many changes from it's
point release, just the the version number has gone major.

I do know that the risk is for many people that they have Grase in
production and a minor release will break something, however it's
probably better for lots of minor release and small breakage, than every
6 months a major release that potentially breaks a few things because we
haven't had the minor things tested by enough people.

At the end of the day, I need the community to be testing minor
releases, as the places I'm running Grase are not a good sample of all
the places the community are running it. For example, I only do time
tracking at one location, not data, so some of the data tracking
features get less testing than the time tracking (and visa versa)