2013-01-09 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] wds slow help and internet not reachiing maximum bandwidth

Header Data

From: Tim White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: fdb54e5f339d44cb217cce63d35ec16d5fc3d09c675dc3fc1fa3d340ad36f763
Message ID: <50EE0E3D.9090306@gmail.com>
Reply To: <CA+9ZPKpaiB25Wk_y9zTwR+HgpV3hJ3V7bz5HbnHBD_zc-XLAVA@mail.gmail.com>
UTC Datetime: 2013-01-09 17:41:33 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 10:41:33 +1000

Raw message

On 10/01/13 10:31, Santiago Berniz wrote:

> Hi All, I'm wondering if anyone had experience sae problem with wds
> being slow. I have dd-wrt installed and direct conection works somehow
> great.. at least i get about 20mbps. HOwever, I did test speed on the
> server directly connected and it gives me only 20mbps, i have 35mbps.
> and with a direct cable conection to the internet or router trhough
> internet works fine. Wondering if it is something on the grase system
> or it could just be my network card. I know is not the cable because i
> tested with same cable on a different computer and goes to 35mbps.
> On the WDS Part, the secondary router, does not go faster than 3mbps,
> could it be that distance between routers is affecting the speed at
> which the signal is received? or something i got wrong? although at
> the same distance my computer receives 14mbps over wireless.. any help
> is appreciated.

The way WDS works, you'll always lose bandwidth.
See http://www.keenansystems.com/newug/bblog/?postid=17.
"Because you are repeating the wireless signal with only one radio on
one channel Each WDS link cuts the available bandwidth in 1/2 and adds a
small amount of latency."

Thats why the best way to do this is multiple access points connected to
a switch via ethernet wires, and have them all on the same SSID but
different channels. Roaming won't work as well as WDS, a client will
hang on to an AP until it can no longer connect to it, even if there is
a stronger one near it, so you can actually put the AP's further apart
than with WDS and it'll work well.