2013-03-31 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] two networks on the internal network adaptor?

Header Data

From: Tim White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: 3b89757956fd7948148569be4d95feb62ffa6ab30f01fba9971b43b6d7a4336e
Message ID: <5158D04B.1000309@gmail.com>
Reply To: <1364764166.90745.YahooMailNeo@web140601.mail.bf1.yahoo.com>
UTC Datetime: 2013-03-31 17:09:47 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2013 10:09:47 +1000

Raw message

Hi Steve

I only get to work on Grase in my spare time, and recently haven't had
much spare time due to a building move at work.

 From the sounds of things, in transparent mode, you probably won't be
getting the captive portal that grase provides? Or is Untangles
transparent mode actually just a normal routing mode without NAT?

I believe what you want to do, probably needs Layer 3 routing on Grase,
not layer 2. I've not had any time to implement the option for layer 3
routing in Coova Chilli in the Grase interface. The main reason is for
most people, they don't want complicated routing, and so Layer 2 is
fine. For you, Layer 3 is needed. (Technically you can do what you want
in Layer 2, with a larger ip range, and a dynip range for the first
subnet, and a statip range for the other subnet).

Anyway, I believe what you want to do can be done in Grase, its just
going to need a lot of working out initially as it's so not standard.
Perhaps contact me off list with more information about the non-profit
organisation and I can see if we can work out some cheap support so I
can put some time into making this work?

As nice as untangle is, it does make you pay through the nose for things
that shouldn't cost much. I have good networking knowledge and have
studied it at Uni, it's just a matter of setting up a test environment
to test it all.

Tim