2013-03-31 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Auditing for the legal position

Header Data

From: Tim White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: 742d56c051b93dfdc7be8a0c469dd9b6a1bfd9ed9f92438d6e4c9ec6fd90f8c5
Message ID: <5158E3E4.6050603@gmail.com>
Reply To: <1363788419.16237.YahooMailNeo@web171403.mail.ir2.yahoo.com>
UTC Datetime: 2013-03-31 18:33:24 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2013 11:33:24 +1000

Raw message

On 21/03/13 00:06, Jo\ufffdl Niederwipper wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to audit the traffic so that I know what user visited
> webpage/IP. In the worth case szenario the prosecution would say your
> public IP had done "bad things" and I want to know what user has done
> this. What must I do for this?
>
> I hope you can help me.

This should already work in the squid logs. Unfortunately this only
audits the http traffic, and not https or bittorrent or anything else
like that. You probably want to research what is needed to be an ISP in
your country to get a better idea of the auditing they are required to
do. Laws vary from country to country. Some countries it's good enough
to say that you resell your internet and so you can't track it down to
an individual user.