2013-03-30 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Grase and Arm processors

Header Data

From: Drazen <dr***a@radez.hr>
Message Hash: 8ca171640ae3b49f9c6b8e9fd4953e66c6866ddd8384122212133351393d2a8b
Message ID: <515727EA.2090609@radez.hr>
Reply To: <1364649068.431923@computingeverywhere.com.au>
UTC Datetime: 2013-03-30 10:59:06 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 18:59:06 +0100

Raw message

Hi Peter
honestly speaking I don't think this is good approach for internet-cafe.
You want there good reliable machine with good engine under the hatch.
Something you can scale , fix, extend and so on.
Basically, grase is a router with proxy plus radius+mysql+Apache and of
course + coovachilli access controller. Quite a bunch of heavy services
where good performer is desirable.
I don't believe that such toy able to handle tens clients simultaneously
at the proper speed.
It is not unusually that such box need to have multicore CPU, tons of
RAM and SAS disks in fast RAID configurations. Just to illustrate how
fast it scales as number of user grow up to 100 and more. Traffic
content is also important.

Back to your basic question. If regular Ubuntu can work, nothing extra
related grase and ARM is necessary. (I am running one grase instance on
ViaEPIA mini-itx board with VIA CPU at 1GHz. It is quite old assembly
today. There is nothing then regular 32bit Ubuntu and regular grase
components.
I don't have any experience with ARM thing. Someone else may talk here
more qualify. I just wish to point that if standard Ubuntu work, grase
will too. If not, any thoughts about rebuilding anything afraid are not
good at long terms.
So my advice, go with standard hardware which is proven to work. Much
better for business.

Drazen