2013-03-21 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Block webpage

Header Data

From: Tim White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: 8ec784248eac141d42019498f6fa132572ce3fdedd287fbd188596717f714950
Message ID: <514AFD32.5080807@gmail.com>
Reply To: <CAFNwkTD=4qJHmnaWP_TpOiZubvo4HutKafw7ieDCaC-iUBUvrQ@mail.gmail.com>
UTC Datetime: 2013-03-21 05:29:38 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 22:29:38 +1000

Raw message

On 21/03/13 21:52, Juvenal Mena wrote:
> Hello!
>
> how i filter some kind of web pages? users can use all the day and all
> the bandwidth they want, I just need to filter what they do, like
> youtube, Facebook, etc.

For basic blocking, you'll need to do some research into using squid to
filter pages. Then put the relevant config in a file in
/etc/squid3/grase.d/yourconfig.conf (where yourconfig is a name you give
the file)

However, you won't be able to block SSL easily, so maybe ask yourself
the question of why you are trying to block your user from certain
sites, instead of limiting their access. Often giving customers free
wifi, that is not giving them access to all the websites they want, is
exactly what they don't want. You are better to give them free "limited"
wifi (i.e. 50Mb or 30 mins) that they can waste on what ever they want.

If it's not customers but kids for example, then look into something
like OpenDNS for blocking sites, in combination with squid filtering.