2013-04-02 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Groups without expiries.

Header Data

From: Tim White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: 6bce8f2d38584e53c311c3c0a5f6b510a43a23acb797a3ca36412e568d58dce1
Message ID: <515B69CD.5080402@gmail.com>
Reply To: <1364941500.595994@computingeverywhere.com.au>
UTC Datetime: 2013-04-02 16:29:17 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2013 09:29:17 +1000

Raw message

On 03/04/13 08:25, Peter Cummins wrote:
> I have just created a group without specifying an expiry time and was told that "It is not recommended having groups without expiries."
>
> Why is this? Should I modify the group to have an expiry date before I create users in it?

Basically it's because any users you create in a group without expiries,
will exist forever unless you manually delete them. Most Hotspot setups
are "casual" users and having old accounts around "forever" is not a
desirable thing.
Even the argument for "staff" being "forever" users is a little void, as
staff don't exist forever ether. I often set staff to say a year, and
make sure I update them before they expire (I think we still need an
"extend expiry" button).