2013-04-25 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] using a repeater

Header Data

From: “Pollington, Glyn” <Gl***n@hp.com>
Message Hash: a02fc3e93669a53d86a11f27515dd21909f8154bdaea8f17c691f336d809d9c8
Message ID: <99DF9CFBA2E2D947A37658DFB2AE72BB50E9090C@G4W3292.americas.hpqcorp.net>
Reply To: <!&!AAAAAAAAAAAYAAAAAAAAAMUqYtei4rhBqhEf7CX3SubigAAAEAAAAKTnjaST00JJoqwnipPbZm8BAAAAAA==@winkelmaenner.com>
UTC Datetime: 2013-04-25 08:40:43 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 15:40:43 +0000

Raw message

As far as I can tell I got an repeater to work OK - although the system will be going back on site tomorrow so that will prove it.

I was already using a TP Link access point, configured with a static address 10.1.0.253. So I bought another one just the same and followed the instructions for enabling a repeater - basically from the AP GUI it would scan the available networks then I just selected my existing hotspot.  It could be done manually with just the SSID and the MAC of the AP. I did set the IP of the repeater to 10.1.0.252 just so I could connect it to the existing lan to manage in future.

Once working I tested it by taking the new ap to the garage and watched the signal strength go down on my iPad, then turned on the repeater and after 30 secs full signal strength and I could walk out of range of the original AP.

I think the trick is getting the hardware to play together which is why I used identical devices.