2013-10-29 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] help : Need report for french law “informatique et liberté”

Header Data

From: Timothy White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: 2c60b7b7492288cc0244a125e8951ac5e1886e8e4a1d2bbea44891a8219ed3dc
Message ID: <CAESLx0KYS2ALn5_dWRAwdsv3JrPvCdhQi9HobRQyg+EzeaOpyA@mail.gmail.com>
Reply To: <CAL2BZGzhQnMhM4fh4DJLB7E_AXv8evFgsGYgKGwOv_SNoX_1Lw@mail.gmail.com>
UTC Datetime: 2013-10-29 22:04:00 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 15:04:00 +1000

Raw message

If you search back in the archives, there was discussion of some people
having issues with Squid not recording the data correctly. Unfortunately I
can't help with individual cases, unless someone can reproduce the issue
for me that I can work with. That is probably why your sessions data
doesn't show up.

The way Grase currently works, all URL data that can be collected (remember
as soon as someone uses HTTPS you can't get that data anymore), is stored
in the Squid logs. Grase stores the session data (length, ip, mac address)
in the radius database. And by using both of those "logs" you can produce
the required reports you need.

In regards to storing for 1 year. You can setup longer storage of squid
logs by ether adjust logrotate, or by routinely backing up the squid logs.
The radius database is backed up nightly and currently we don't delete old
backups, so you can find those backups in /var/backup/grase/database

So, with very little work, Grase is already compliant if used correctly.
I'm open to patches to enabling/disabling different logging, as while some
people have said they require lots of data to be compliant, others have
stated they need it all anonymised or not collected.

Tim