2013-10-30 - [GRASE-Hotspot] group blocking unblocking?

Header Data

From: “Wood, Darren” <Da***d@theherbert.org>
Message Hash: 54441465df8443e1a9599ef8bf8ac8d442d2f8b27d81fe5550f758ce3c13c9fe
Message ID: <20140215045742.860CE8204F@localhost>
Reply To: <mailman.296641.1383110235.21953.grase-hotspot@lists.sourceforge.net>
UTC Datetime: 2013-10-30 03:31:34 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 10:31:34 +0000

Raw message

Thanks for all the info and help guys.

To give all the users individual logins would be great but one problem I have at the moment is the organisation want us to use one username and one password for the general public to access the internet (we are an art gallery). This is so we do not have to hand out usernames and passwords and do tech suport and so on. The problem I am having is some of my student  who only come here for training have got hold of this login information and have been going onto the internet instead of doing their work. This is why I was trying to block and unblock access by using MAC addresses as this would only affect my training room laptops. I guess I need to find a better or easier way to do this.

What is the procedure to restart coova chilli remotely from admin and without rebooting the grase machine?
When coova chilli is restarting will this be a long process or very quick and will it delay other users from internet access as it restarts?

Daz

>As someone already stated elsewhere, if they are already logged on, there
>is currently no easy way to "kick them off" except to restart coova chilli
>after you make changes to prevent them logging in.

>In reality, the computer accounts are all currently in 1 group. You can in
>theory create computer accounts in any group by using a username of the
>correct format, and the password as the "MAC Auth Password" in coova chilli
>settings page. However, computer accounts only login at DHCP time, so this
>probably doesn't help you.

>I think in this situation you need to give all the users individual logins,
>and in the groups you want for disconnect/reconnect. You can then edit the
>group to have a login time of 'Never' that prevents them from logging in.
>Then when you want them to login, remove the login time for that group, and
>they'll be able to login again. With a simple restart of the chilli process
>each time, you'll kick all users off and force them to relogin.

>As for friendly display of MAC address. I hear you. I currently use the
>comment field for this, but maybe we can look into that in the future.

>Tim

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you have received this e-mail in error, you are requested to contact the sender immediately, and not to disclose or make use of this information.

All e-mails are monitored by Coventry City Council IT Security, using Star Filtering Services.

The views contained in this e-mail are those of the author and not necessarily those of Coventry City Council.
This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The  service is powered by MessageLabs.

Thread