2013-10-28 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] group blocking unblocking?

Header Data

From: Drazen <dr***a@radez.hr>
Message Hash: e6b341bca799a634a119050439080b8958163c742d380ee9598bd7c76f27dec9
Message ID: <526E8766.5020104@radez.hr>
Reply To: <E1Van5p-0008WQ-F9@sfs-ml-3.v29.ch3.sourceforge.com>
UTC Datetime: 2013-10-28 08:48:55 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 16:48:55 +0100

Raw message

Hi Darren
I am not fully qualified for right answer. Just some remarks.
For what you are looking for, you should ask Tim to program such
functionality for you.
Using MAC addresses is not convenient in that case how I can see. This
is cpecial case how radius working. So, usernames should be more
appropriate way with additional programing.
In real world problems like yours are solved by proxy servers and users
which are declared in LDAP directory or txt file optionaly. Using proxy
it is possble to block or allow users or even MAC addrs. Still not easy
to recognize who is who. User-way is better.
In Grase there is one proxy (Squid) which is part of package. However,
Tim is only who can give best advice or solution.

I don't know exactly how do you using Grase, but there is an option to
use iPCop (obsollete) or similar
SmoothWall gateway instead of Grase. Both has posibility to control the
users at your way.
Rgds.
Drazen

On 10/28/2013 02:22 PM, Wood, Darren wrote:

> Sorry I should have posted mac addresses and not IP addresses:
>
> 1) I would like to stop or filter out a  group of mac addresses from
> getting online but be able to give them access again when I want them
> to do research.
>
> I would like to be able to turn their internet connection on and off
> from the admin interface?
>
> 2) Also is there a way to give mac addresses a friendly name that can
> be seen easily from the admin interface page,
>
> I always find if hard to work out who is who just by the mac address?
>
> On 23.10.2013 14:28, Wood, Darren wrote:
>

> > Is there away to send up a group for my students (using their ip
>
> > address) that I can setup and be able to turn their internet
>
> > connection on and off from the admin interface?
>

> > Thanks
>

> > Daz Wood
>

> This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
> intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you have received
> this e-mail in error, you are requested to contact the sender
> immediately, and not to disclose or make use of this information.
>
> All e-mails are monitored by Coventry City Council IT Security, using
> Star Filtering Services.
>
> The views contained in this e-mail are those of the author and not
> necessarily those of Coventry City Council.
> service is powered by MessageLabs.

> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=60135991&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

  • Return to October 2013

  • Return to “Drazen <dr***a@radez.hr>