2014-08-08 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] is this possible?

Header Data

From: Timothy White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: 62a6721b4dafaf9a61b6b7c0de7871664cce7db0574ed4d864b561ae4c1138f4
Message ID: <CAESLx0LyULo1=G4EGfsRaFB=cLLWTWqDk0sQdFy90NuALUExhw@mail.gmail.com>
Reply To: <c9bf39b2-dd2a-4d49-b602-f9671601d1ed@grasehotspot.org>
UTC Datetime: 2014-08-08 20:40:49 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2014 13:40:49 +1000

Raw message

While it may be possible to remove the gateway and require clients to setup
a proxy server, it's not very user friendly, and will certainly exclude
many users. In this scenario, you'd be better running just a proxy, and no
captive portal, as everything would be forced through the proxy, so you can
do traffic accounting through that.

Having said that, if your users are using Tor to get around your filtering,
trying to block Tor is the wrong solution. You need to block those users,
as they are breaking your "Internet Usage Policy" that I'm sure you have
written up and printed. At the end of the day, if someone wants to get
through your filtering, and they have internet access, they will find a way
to get through. It's more efficient to detect those users and block their
access totally.

Regarding filtering of traffic, I am writing a new way of filtering traffic
that may assist, but again, at the end of the day, if your users want to
get past your filtering, there are many ways around all filtering methods.

Hope that gives you something to think about.

Tim