2014-12-08 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Re: Grase Hotspot working with DD-WRT routers in remote locations.

Header Data

From: Dražen Žuvela <dr***a@radez.hr>
Message Hash: b23c16b3e14eeb25765360ef64d8b162b15b8195e5c274c5e3c2865d86c27c17
Message ID: <54857C31.1070200@radez.hr>
Reply To: <CAA-jMMSdpQi-7uOkT1Ny_nem_Ahbre0bOVAPR+5E+hUQscdFkg@mail.gmail.com>
UTC Datetime: 2014-12-08 03:23:45 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 11:23:45 +0100

Raw message

Dana 8.12.2014. 1:58, Bob Hunt je napisao:

> Also I think that standard openwrt based CoovaAP firmware (
> http://coova.org/CoovaAP ) should work out of the box as client access
> controller.

Not sure. It depends of particular router, model-hardware version and
memory capacity. Recently I flash TP-link 74x something.. (can't find
right model right now). It was neccesseary to find out exact firmware,
but none of chilly or radius components installed by default. It is
neccesseary to do it manually. In fact I am not sure if memory will suffice.
In contrary, my previous installation on Linksys WRT 54GL results with 3
different portals Coova included and many other goodies.

Since Liksys is a legend but kind of outdate hardware (54Mbps only), it
is normal today that we are choosing 150 and 300 Mbps models. They gives
better signal/distance but also more concurrent users.

So, my suggestion is to study carefully openwrt or DDwrt hardware
compability tables as well other available informations regarding
flashing certain models, before purchasing.
Additionaly , makers today often making plenty hardware versions on same
model, so you can never be sure which version you will get when buying
online. Differences between hw versions are minor but sometimes are drastic.
Drazen

Thread

  • Return to December 2014

  • Return to “Dražen Žuvela <dr***a@radez.hr>