2015-12-02 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] 2500 users

Header Data

From: Timothy White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: 4da04902ae7a8e0b834dcddde09795f01f51ebb195cddce862b52c167c13a19a
Message ID: <CAESLx0Lzow2NuethUstjTFOAZSFyD11=5d-frRw4L1h8k2gx7Q@mail.gmail.com>
Reply To: <CAH9wN0pi5GbkpratiJfp3fVeMoaD3LJqFSKka3g46i1zUDEp-A@mail.gmail.com>
UTC Datetime: 2015-12-02 14:00:36 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2015 07:00:36 +1000

Raw message

Hi Nazanin

I'm not aware of anyone trying to run that many users through the same
server. In theory, with enough grunt, I expect a single server could do it.
In reality, you may want to look through the posts for those who have done
"cloud grase" where the Grase server has multiple servers that connect back
to it, but the traffic flows through each of the access servers, and the
Grase server just does the Radius Server and MySQL servers (and probably
the captive portal website as well).
I do have plans to make it easier to setup like this in the future, but we
aren't there yet.

2500 concurrent users, what bandwidth do you expect to give them? From a
networking point of view, you probably have a large connection, and big
routers. Possibly even redundant routers. Grase is no different, it's a
router, so you need to do the same as you would with normal routers. Scale
things up, provide redundancy. Split the load somehow.

It's not Grase that you need to be thinking about, it's your networking
hardware, and then how Grase fits in with your hardware. No point pushing
all those users through a single CPU, 2GB RAM, old computer running Grase.
Scale Grase in the same way you'd scale normal network routers (and
remember, that Grase is doing more than just routing, so needs to scale for
all the functions it does)