2015-12-10 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] AP Hardware Recomendation

Header Data

From: Dražen Žuvela <dr***a@radez.hr>
Message Hash: a34d361ccf12a08ffcebb3b5358bc1575c42dbb0f1abc5207723bd95ce2e65a6
Message ID: <5669779A.7020300@radez.hr>
Reply To: <CAF3s1W_Hx1f4_mB7Q=KUXwkjkFZ0Vh_ue+Km7s7DSS8XygfsaA@mail.gmail.com>
UTC Datetime: 2015-12-10 06:01:14 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 14:01:14 +0100

Raw message

Indoor or outdoor?

Most APs are omni already.
Stronger antennas will rise up signal strengths as well the speed of
communication in both way, but it has nothing to do with number of
concurrent clients connected at AP.

Each antenna declared with higher gain, 5, 10, 15, 20 ... dbi will have
better performance in Rx as well Tx direction (Receiving and
Transmitting) then lower gain declared antenna.
But there is a trade off.
Each gain improvement means better in one or several directions while
making worse in other.  V-H radiation diagrams are important here.
E.G. vertical stick with gain 9dbi is omnidirectional, but it has very
narrow angle in vertical pane, and still 360. (Like lighthouse)

However, today modern APs which are declared to have higher data speeds
(150Mbps, 300bps ... ). Besides improvement in CPU/RAM part, there is
also special handling with radio signals which is spreading trough more
then one antennas build on AP board itself or as external sticks or even
combination of integrated antennas on board and one or more sticks on
housing.
There are improvements in 801.11 types 'n' and 'ac' protocol, where
better handling radio signal with more antennas of same source.
I admit that still don't understand how it works. There is some unclear
facts too: What is the meaning of 150 or 300Mbps speed if Ethernet
interface is still 100Mbps? Has not much sense other then "marketing"

Back to you.
For serving many concurrent clients you will need more CPU/RAM power
inside AP or divided among several APs.
You can place more APs at the same place (or mast) with "sector"
antennas oriented in different directions, making a full 360 degs. or
less coverage circle.
In such scenario, it is important to set each AP with same SSID and
force them to different radio channel.
Set them 3 channels apart from each other would be quite good. It is
necessary to take in count foreign WiFi signals (channels and their
strenght) nearby.

Same SSID will provide seamless clients roaming between different APs
without interruption.

*Dra\u017een \u017duvela *

10.12.2015. u 5:01, Luis Alberto je napisao/la:
> Hi!,
>
> I'm trying to set up a Hotspot for ~80 up to 100 users.
> So far the software side works fine with the 10 daily users, but i
> need to change the AP since it won't meet the expected workload of 80
> users.
>
> I'm planing on extending the signal with omnidirectional antenna,
> maybe sharing load using 2 AP but if you could recomend some tested
> one to work with i would highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> *Luis *
> https://groups.google.com/a/grasehotspot.org/d/msgid/grase-hotspot/CAF3s1W_Hx1f4_mB7Q%3DKUXwkjkFZ0Vh_ue%2BKm7s7DSS8XygfsaA%40mail.gmail.com