2017-01-22 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] guidance for medium large installation

Header Data

From: Timothy White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: 31a2db075f27af300f25f32880c861d18fc7de450ea56b423f56183751676f5a
Message ID: <CAESLx0JpWB_JJjE0qi9RKJ4=e0rC=GBQ=qzTTxGrYeocjsiR4A@mail.gmail.com>
Reply To: <d5e75d77-19a6-4ffb-8e99-656ff5435865@grasehotspot.org>
UTC Datetime: 2017-01-22 13:58:01 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2017 06:58:01 +1000

Raw message

Hi Gianluca

Firstly, 16.04 isn't yet supported. I'm in the process of building new
packages that support it (actually, they are built), and now need to test.
Due to some package changes in 16.04, I'm having to change how the
repositories work, so we can target specific distributions. This is great,
as it'll be clearer what is supported and (somewhat) tested. It also allows
us to get rid of some packaging oddities we've had to work with.
The supported list of distributions will be Ubuntu Xenial (16.04), Trusty
(14.04), and Debian Jessie. I'm in the testing phase of the new
repositories, and once I can confirm that they work, will release
instructions to get others testing the newly built packages. With 3
distributions, and up to 4 architectures (32bit, 64bit, ARMHF and ARMEL on
Debian), there are lots of combinations to test, and not much time or
hardware.

1) is there some parameter for freeradius that I should tweak from the
> default install? I reading about the num_threads but I did not test it
> before, yet it seems likely something that I should increase...

None that I'm aware of. As you get more connections going through, you may
want to decrease the accounting interval (definteriminterval) for Coova
Chilli. The default is 5 minutes, but with more connections, an easy way to
reduce the freeradius load is to increase that interval.

> 2) mysql num of connections : seems another param to be increased with 200
> users to track ..

I'm guessing you'd want this to match the number of threads of Freeradius.
Current default is 5 I believe.

> 3) for 3.8 I don;t want to keep more than 2 weeks of history in my session
> database, is there a way I can automatically prune the database? I've seen
> few few emails with some scripts from Tim, are those ready to be used in
> production?

I'm not sure. The ones floating around I've not looked at in depth. It'll
depend on if the users are "expired" or used up their quota. If so, some of
the built in scripts will help. Although 2 weeks is very short. The
sessions table is used to manage limits, so if you are emptying it
regularly, you need scripts that take into account how much data a user has
used, before removing them from the table.

> 4) firewall: is there a way to disable the internal firewall on GRASE? I
> just need access control, all port filtering is done from the fw/router in
> front of the grase machine itself.

Not easily. We currently NAT connections, so a firewall is required.
However, it's a minimal firewall, mostly there for the NAT and transparent
squid proxying. Linux firewalls are very efficient, so I doubt turning it
off would give you much performance improvement. You'll find that
CoovaChilli is a bigger drain of resources, as it needs to track all the
active connections, rate limit them, report traffic flows, etc. CoovaChilli
has a kernel module now, to help with this, but I've done 0 testing with
it, and I doubt I'll get to testing it for a long time as it's not as easy
to build and setup.

>From the sounds of it, you really need to ensure you have adequate hardware
to handle your setup.

Looking forward to seeing progress.