2020-07-25 - New Logo for V4 - Thanks Alex

Header Data

From: Tim <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: a65b1babe7d0ed3d492ef2921349289eabb8d9ef343698312369b26d6b3234b0
Message ID: <CAESLx0J98rE__magFcYO1AJZWBQMnD2zWKwfd1jug1kYxsx3Gg@mail.gmail.com>
Reply To: N/A
UTC Datetime: 2020-07-25 07:14:24 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2020 22:14:24 +0800

Raw message

It's finally hit the git repo! We have a new logo for the Grase Hotspot!

Alex Potterson reached out last year looking to build logos for OSS
projects as part of building up their portfolio. I am happy to say that the
logo Alex has designed is much better than what I threw together years ago,
and has way more thought in its design process too!

The process of coming up with the logo isn't quick or easy, so I wanted to
share a bit of how Alex came up with the new logo.

For some reason, the first thing that came to my mind when I saw your
> old logo was the film Men In Black, where the cat called Orion had a
> glass locket on a collar that contained a galaxy. I liked that idea,
> and I wanted to make a locket logo, that symbolised keeping the Wi-Fi
> contained and secure. I didn't know what perspective to use, so I
> learned a bit about how real lockets are made, and made a 3D model of
> a locket: https://youtu.be/1VZR-wKuc88
>
> The logo is supposed to resemble a golden locket, but also a globe and
> signals moving across the globe. At first I used small spheres to
> represent signals, but when building the last iteration of the logo, I
> tried to represent signals with strong colors, and it worked
> beautifuly. Two white strokes can be interpreted as signals moving
> across the globe, as changes and movements of technology, or as
> someone hugging and protecting something.
>
> I kept the insides empty and see-though both because I liked it better
> than a fill, and to symbolise a wireless connection. The design
> overall is very fluid, soft and warm, and I enjoyed making it as much
> as I enjoy looking at it now.

Thank you very much, Alex, for the logo, it's much appreciated and I really
like it. It's now live on the website and in the V4 nightly builds.

[image: image.png]

Thread