2011-08-21 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] City Wide Hotspot

Header Data

From: Timothy White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: 21ee40feac275bc62c2887d0d01b88f969ccab7068dc88a8509031276b37c916
Message ID: <CAESLx0L1uk4yFvjhr3=d5VJXWfEC1_L9Q-u8i_NahwPZb2fOpw@mail.gmail.com>
Reply To: <4E4B3B0D.6060104@ibahn.net>
UTC Datetime: 2011-08-21 23:03:26 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 16:03:26 +1000

Raw message

Not currently.
The actual GRASE interface can manage as many users as you want. The
limitations are the network throughput of the machine, coova chilli
and in some ways the radius server due to all the accounting updates.
Look for performance on coova chilli and how many users it can handle,
and you'll get an idea of how many you can handle with GRASE.
However, I've not designed grase's interface with 1000's of users in
mind, even though the backends can handle it.

Usually when running networks that might have more than say 200 user
on it, you'd be running a number of coova chilli machines as gateways,
rather than having all that traffic come back to a single machine.
You'd also be running the radius server(s) on separate machines to the
coova chilli gateways. And most likely, you'd have spent lots of money
on cisco hardware, or at least hardware that does WPA-EAP so users can
login securely.

Having said all that, I see no reason that you couldn't have a few
hundred users off one coova chilli machine if it's got enough grunt,
enough network bandwidth, and enough ram. Currently the packages I'm
building only have a subnet of 254 ip addresses, so that's your limit
atm, but that is easily changed in the configs.

Tim