2011-08-09 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] WPA/WPA2 Enterprise auth

Header Data

From: Tim White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: 3196ab8849630eca1dcf9a85020c023719f55a82ad9c36e089af63fbd8133695
Message ID: <4E41D628.5030000@gmail.com>
Reply To: <10558f60a70a617f0f3ace7297f897a1@ssantos.dyndns.info>
UTC Datetime: 2011-08-09 17:51:52 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 10:51:52 +1000

Raw message

In theory, yes, you can do WPA-EAP.
In practice, not so easy. Making the status page available is easy (just
give the users a special url that will redirect to the status page).
I currently don't have any hardware that supports WPA-EAP, so can't set
it up to work out what settings are needed in Coova Chilli.
Reading around suggests that it's easy. And this page
http://coova.org/CoovaChilli/WPACaptivePortal also has information of
what is needed to allow guests to get a normal UAM login page, while
successful WPA logins will get direct access.

What particular issues do you have with war drivers? I'm assuming it's
the fact that all traffic is unencrypted so war drivers could sniff
details? I'd advertise the hotspot with a WPA2 key, so it's not as easy
for people to just find the hotspot and connect, but at least the casual
war driver isn't going to be sniffing it.

Tim