2012-01-12 - [GRASE-Hotspot] Wireless Bridge (Was Re: #44: Allow time based “specials”)

Header Data

From: Tim White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: 43e5c0a849e9467ac7c9192698cc0c2e4f71fe51dd8eb78f31a6ee0fcd717743
Message ID: <4F0F41B8.7010201@gmail.com>
Reply To: <4F0E6798.7010500@gmail.com>
UTC Datetime: 2012-01-12 13:25:28 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 06:25:28 +1000

Raw message

On 12/01/12 14:54, Muhammad Zubair Riaz wrote:
> HI,
>
> I have a network like mentioned under
>
> 1- Linux server1 with 2 gateway,
> NIC=3
> eth0=192.168.1.2, gw=192.168.1.1, Connected to ADSL modem
> eth1=192.168.2.2, gw=192.168.2.1, Connected to ADSL modem
> eth2=192.168.0.1, connected 5 port switch-1
> shorewall configured for 2 ISP, squid , dhcp3-server, bind
> 2- Linux server2
> NIC=2
> eth0=192.168.0.2, gw=192.168.0.1=connected to switch1 (linuxserver1)
> eth1=without IP, as you grase hotspot installation manual
> says,=connected to 5 port switch2
>
> Now, one AP, Bullet2hp having sector 17 DBI is conneted to switch2, and
> the clients around are able to connected to our grase-hostspot server,
> and the can surf the Internet without any problem.
>
> I connected, one Bullet 5ghz AP with 30 dbi grid antenna (we will call
> it AP5ghz-1) to switch 2, and that antenna is connected to the other
> remote AP and same antenna (we will call it AP5ghz-2), 25 KM away, LOS
> is clear, and i can ping the remote AP without any losses,
>
> Remote AP, AP5ghz-2, is then connected to 5 port switch3, and there are
> 3 more 2.4ghz Bullet2HP APs with 17 DBI sector antennas connected to the
> same switch3,
>
> Now if My AP5Ghz-1 Cable is conected in switch2, So the clients are
> getting IPs on their computers in the remote area, but they are not able
> to browse the Internet, they are getting error something "Gateway
> error", If I use to plug the cable of AP5Ghz-1 Cable in switch1, So then
> the people are able to browse with a normal speed, (because now the are
> connected to Linux-server 1).
> I mean to say, if Grase-hotspot server not involved, so the Clients can
> brows, but if I am going to involve the Grase-hospot server, then
> Clients can not brows,
> For temporary solutions i put one grase-hotspot server there in the
> remote Area, So now the clients can browse and authentication via grase
> is  also working.
>
> I feel, I am not able to explain in a nice and professional way, but
> that is my level, I will try my level best to explain more if some one
> asking more detail
>
> Waiting....

I believe I understand what you are describing Muhammad.

The issue sounds to me that you don't have Layer 2 going across the
"Wireless Bridge". Can you give me more details as to what settings the
AP5Ghz-1 and AP5Ghz-2 have, in particular how the wireless bridge is
setup. And the remote AP's what the settings are for them? As long as
everything operates at layer 2, then it should work. However wireless
bridges typically operate at Layer 3 which is causing the issue.

What is the ip address and gateway that remote computers get when
AP5ghz-1 is connected to switch 2?