2012-02-16 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Not possible to translate all text.

Header Data

From: Tim White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: 5c2eaa7475151dd3086907e876147027e32aa7c78c2c62bc537dc176dc70713c
Message ID: <4F3DAAD3.70903@gmail.com>
Reply To: <201202162317.23375.solbu@solbu.net>
UTC Datetime: 2012-02-16 18:18:11 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 11:18:11 +1000

Raw message

On 17/02/12 08:17, Johnny Solbu wrote:
> We have detected that it's not possible to translate all text strings.
> None of the text in the Reports page is available in any other language than english, because the text is hardcoded into the web page.
>
> This needs to be fixed.
This is true.
There are 2 reasons for this currently. The first is that it's a little
harder to translate the text in the reports graphs, due to it being an
external javascript library. However I do have a technique for this, and
will implement it.

The second reason, is due to the note at the top of the reports page. I
need feedback about the reports page, what works, what doesn't, what
people want to see on it, etc etc. For example, if graphed reports
aren't what people want, and instead they want summary tables, then I
need to know that. If the type of graphs or how the data is graphed
isn't useful, I need to know that.
So please people, give me some feedback as to how you want the reports
page to look like! (Mockups are great too). The only thing I'd say,
please avoid Flash based things (graphs etc) and go for more javascript
or static things. (Of course, any libraries you want to use need to be
able to be used in a GPLed project, so preferably GPL libraries)

I've opened a bug regarding the translations, so it should be done in
the next few weeks.