2012-02-09 - [GRASE-Hotspot] Changes for grase-conf-squid3 - Force squid to use dnsmasq

Header Data

From: Johnny Solbu <so***u@solbu.net>
Message Hash: 939154a76db33a29b6e561a817f9efef940e571da22c3cdd92700259b17b9df6
Message ID: <201202091235.28353.solbu@solbu.net>
Reply To: N/A
UTC Datetime: 2012-02-09 04:34:37 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 12:34:37 +0100

Raw message

> --- Changes for grase-conf-squid3 ---
> grase-conf-squid3 (1.3) purewhite; urgency=low
>
>   * Force squid to use dnsmasq as nameserver as some upstream nameservers cause timeout issues

What about those of us who need to use bind locally on the server?
This is not an upstream server but the LOCAL server on the same computer as grase is installed on.

In one location where this system might be installed, if my friends testing is sucessfull, is the home network of his parents, a server which have -3- ethernet cards. Both eth1 and eth2 are the local network, one is a physically wired network and the other is connected to a wireless access point, which is in bridge mode.

On both networks we have a local domain, using ".lan" as TLD, to identify the various computers. We intend to keep using this domain on the wired network to identify among other things an ip phone and a GNU/Linux based television receiver. We use bind localy on the server to accomplish this. we also use bind to block specific domains, such as all the domains of doubleclick, google syndication, google analytics and the like.
If GRASE has been installed on this server, we would have lost our local domain on the wired network after this update, which would have been replaced with ".local", and the wired network would have failed to reach the local dns based services.

It should be possible for the system administrator to override this.

--
Johnny A. Solbu
web site, http://www.solbu.net

Thread