2012-04-16 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] squid DNS timeout

Header Data

From: Tim White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: c3a3639968df72ae5cffb6da7e32928b2608814e7914ea688728b711d1eb3973
Message ID: <4F8CACA7.6070200@gmail.com>
Reply To: <1334212064.78451.YahooMailNeo@web161603.mail.bf1.yahoo.com>
UTC Datetime: 2012-04-16 16:35:03 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 09:35:03 +1000

Raw message

Hi Aan.
This is an odd error. You'd assume if it was dnsmasq that was the
problem, then bypassing that would fix it. Given that other things don't
have the problem, this sounds like a squid problem. Maybe you have UDP
packet issues? I'd try things like increasing squid timeout for DNS.
It's also possible that the upstream DNS server is having problems.

What Squid version are you using? You can disable the use of squid
(remove the transparent proxy firewall rules) if it's a big issue, but
you loose the logging of what users goto and the caching.

Tim