2012-12-20 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Repeater PRoblem - Updated

Header Data

From: Tim White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: 6dc26f6f02d67ee1026a1a55d22e940baae44affa386a41c4732cb5f63faa909
Message ID: <50D3DAB6.3090201@gmail.com>
Reply To: <CA+9ZPKokT4gAvSKj+He6yagSCGjj=75zcUQFBhnzqtMyq39mCQ@mail.gmail.com>
UTC Datetime: 2012-12-20 20:42:46 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 13:42:46 +1000

Raw message

Other than my recommendation to never use a wireless repeater as they
reduce bandwidth...

Can you confirm, that a computer connected to the repeater, gets an ip
address from the Grase server? If it does, then can you confirm that it
can access the grase server via ip address? If it can't, then there is a
issue with the wireless access point and router.

Also, how is it acting as a repeater? Is it connecting to the wireless
access point as a "client" and then serving out a new wireless signal?
What may be happening is that the repeater isn't doing proper layer 2
routing, and so it "hides" all the computers on the repeater. This means
to the access point, and the Grase server, it appears as if all the
clients on the repeater, are actually one client with the repeaters MAC
address. If this is the case, it's impossible to use the Hotspot in this
situation.

I personally never use wireless repeaters so can't give much help.

Also, I believe that a WDS wireless "repeater" system should work
without any problems.

Tim