2013-02-07 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Monit Service

Header Data

From: Johnny Solbu <so***u@solbu.net>
Message Hash: d7f47972f5d03d38e82eb4b1fbc251ba505715b27a541d2b0609175aacc18410
Message ID: <201302070919.28884.solbu@solbu.net>
Reply To: <51134926.8060202@gmail.com>
UTC Datetime: 2013-02-07 01:19:19 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2013 09:19:19 +0100

Raw message

On Thursday 7. February 2013 07.26, Tim White wrote:
> It has been recommended (requested?) for some time that you uninstall
> this package (and probably also the monit package) as it's "leaking
> data" and not maintained. If you wish to use monit yourself, please
> remove my package so your monit settings are active and I stop getting
> these email attempts.

One thing RPM packaging have over Deb packaging is that we can uninstall any installed package, by obsoleting it.
That is, an obsoleted package will be uninstalled by the package manager when instaling any package that obsolete another one, and the user can do little to prevent it, short of not installing the package that obsoletes the old package.

If the Debian package manager tools doesn't have this feature, you could release an updated package, that contains No files, which will have the sole purpose of disableing itself. Maybe have a script run when instaling the new updated package, that will explicitly stop and remove the files that is responsible for this. Then all those installations that still send you mail, will stop upon next system update cycle.

You should to take into account that many of the sysadmins which manage these systems do not read this list, and therefore doesn't know that they should manually uninstall the package. Some of them might not even know how to do that. (Yes, such people really do exist.)

--
Johnny A. Solbu
web site, http://www.solbu.net

Thread