2013-03-19 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Setting Static IP’s to Hotspot hosts

Header Data

From: Tim White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: 067ae5c068c5f2c5dfdf3fcb43125343f083ca0d1cbfbf9788ce5447c396ec1a
Message ID: <5148CEAD.5080105@gmail.com>
Reply To: <B3927F11C872D64EAF092F537F1C37660EE323A3@jupiter.pslcol.com.co>
UTC Datetime: 2013-03-19 13:46:37 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 06:46:37 +1000

Raw message

On 13/03/13 08:08, Pablo Arango Correa wrote:
> Good day,
>
> At the company I work in, we need to deploy a WLAN across de office's building. Some of the devices we are working with are Access Points wich work great and have no problems. But some other are Wireless Router's which we need to create some subWLANs but we also need to  connect through Grase. What we need here is to be able to enter the router's management console from the Grase Hotspot network, therefore we need to set an static IP to each of the routers. From what I've seen and I know about Grase, it does not allow, and somehow it blocks hosts IPs that are not between the DHCP range, for example: If I set the DHCP range to be between the offset 50 - 100, I can not set the "WAN" IP address to a X.X.X.2, Grase seems to cut firewall communication to those hosts out of the DHCP range.
>
> How can I work this around? Is there any known configuration which would let me set static IP's to some hosts?
>
> Thanks!!

Hi Pablo

I think I've said it on this list before, Router/AP management should be
done in a different VLAN to the active network. You can easily setup the
Grase server to have another vlan on the grase network interface, and
use that vlan for your management network.

There are ways to have static IP's in the grase network, but the reason
you are having problems is because until the router has "authenticated"
to grase, it can't communicate past grase. The easiest way is to create
a machine account for each router, and then research Coova Chilli
statip. Static ip's are something that may eventually make it into
grase, but not in the short term. The reason for this is that VLAN's are
much safer for what you are trying to achieve.

I hope to see oneday Grase progress to Layer 3 setups, and being able to
manage entire corporate networks instead of hotspots, however I'm
currently not able to spend the required time on it to start progressing
that way.