2013-06-11 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] new install - No web interface

Header Data

From: Johnny Solbu <so***u@solbu.net>
Message Hash: 702b3ed87803c5a3f5640529b8e06a9b2407b978dc66566a5fa90ea78ba7d17f
Message ID: <201306120227.22016.solbu@solbu.net>
Reply To: <CAESLx0LBbjPLFpc8J=JxJQMxGwAxqJDd9wL1+DtAqqMCDdXR8w@mail.gmail.com>
UTC Datetime: 2013-06-11 17:27:18 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 02:27:18 +0200

Raw message

On Tuesday 11. June 2013 23.31, Timothy White wrote:
> I run Debian testing so I'd expect Debian 7 to work.

Currently it would seem like it doesn't. ;-)=

> The catch is always what to support.

what ever you decide to do, you need to list on the web site, maybe on the install page, which distros and versions you currently support.
I think that is enouch to resolve a lot of the problems people have getting Grase to work. Then people will know which Debian and Ubuntu to install, and be sure everything works.

> At the moment it looks like I'll need to goto multiple
> repos to support older and newer distros.
> And libssl gives us trouble too.

Which is why you need to support multiple releases.

> How do people feel about which distros to support? I've wanted to try to
> support LTS Ubuntu but even that is hard. I also don't want to force people
> to update the whole distro every 6 months

This is why you should support the LTS releases. Then they don't have to update twice a year.
I think you should think about supporting the ubuntu LTS releases (Long Time Support), which are supported by Ubuntu for several years.

Likewise for Debian, support the stable and the previous stable releases, which currently is Debian 6 and 7. the reasoning behind is that you need to account for the fact that many don't upgrade to latest stable until quite some time after current stable is out, so they can test things to verify things would work.

So I think you need to have two Debian repos, and maybe one Ubuntu repo.
it might be a little work to establish, but once it's done and working it should be easy to push updates to each release. Plus libssl would work itself out, as all I had to do to make coova-chilli install on Debian 7 was to rebuild the package on Debian 7, and install using gdebi (from gdebi-core)

--
Johnny A. Solbu
web site, http://www.solbu.net

Thread