2013-06-11 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] new install - No web interface

Header Data

From: Peter Cummins <pe***r@computingeverywhere.com.au>
Message Hash: fb048f7ea15b7304e319b990770e262e52ad82918ecfe6e4eeff2de0eb8b6eb3
Message ID: <51B7A2F5.50208@computingeverywhere.com.au>
Reply To: <CAESLx0LBbjPLFpc8J=JxJQMxGwAxqJDd9wL1+DtAqqMCDdXR8w@mail.gmail.com>
UTC Datetime: 2013-06-11 15:21:41 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 08:21:41 +1000

Raw message

Hi Tim,

I personally would prefer to see that it works easily and well on one
version of one distro rather than having it probably work on a bunch of
them.

Frankly, if you are spending your time making the software work on
several distros then you are not spending that time improving the
features etc.

Obviously you will have to support later distros at some point, but
perhaps you could give a time period. Picking a figure out of the air
here, but if you support every second LTS version I can't see a big
problem with that. To my mind there are only two reasons to go to a
newer distro: 1. Drivers for new hardware not supported, 2. Cool
features in the new version. I do not see that computers that run Grase
should even care about the cool new features, and Grase runs really well
on hardware that is not the latest, so I do not see any reason for you
to expend energy on keeping up with really recent distros.

Just my thoughts...

     Peter