2014-04-11 - Re: OK I need guidance..

Header Data

From: John Crisp <jh***p@gmail.com>
Message Hash: 1210cedd832562d39c08a444527ff900b14d29919a54d33a53fe3f6eafd5ee24
Message ID: <826a5907-d9a5-475f-b731-ec70f385687f@grasehotspot.org>
Reply To: <9fe35ee6-f42b-413a-a2f6-de840e59ce20@grasehotspot.org>
UTC Datetime: 2014-04-11 06:17:38 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 06:17:38 -0700

Raw message

I'm no expert having only played with this a little myself.

What OS did you install it on ?

On Thursday, 10 April 2014 19:31:31 UTC+2, James C. wrote:

> I built a grase hotspot server and tested it in one location without
> issues.  Now I went to move it to it's real home and had the following
> issues:
>
> 1) when the server came up and I logged in I had two tun's tun0 and tun1
> but no ethx
> 2) Rebooted it again and It showed me eth1 and tun0 but the eth1 had no
> address information
>
> I went into interfaces and made sure the information was there stopped and
> started the network but had not internet access.
>
> 1) Without rebuilding the server, where do I setup the WAN interface?
>  Should I add the tun0?
>

> 2) the tun0 is serving the 10.1.0.1 address.  If I want to remotely
> administer the box should I access the box via the WAN address? or should I
> change the tun to my local address like 192.168.10.x?
>

> last question:  I have the hotspot server between a switch and a cable
> modem replacing a router I had there.  Is this a correct setup?
>

> I apologize for being a supreme noob but I like to learn.

First make sure you read this ALL the way to the bottom :

http://grasehotspot.org/documentation/installation/

In particular here :

http://grasehotspot.org/documentation/installation/#comment-3413

and here :

http://grasehotspot.org/documentation/installation/#comment-3430

Yes, you can access the admin page from anywhere, as long as you know the
WAN IP address.

Your setup with switch and cable modem sounds OK - just need to make sure
you get the right settings with the cable modem ~ server. You could still
have used your router - either with the LAN set to DHCP or set statically
if you prefer. Really depends on what you want to achieve.

B. Rgds
John

Thread