2014-05-22 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] DHCP addresses and subnet mask

Header Data

From: David Wilson <da***e@argyle.com.au>
Message Hash: 25de5d48f99aed8fa14285bf108976ba3f66ccdc741a3a31994159d3e34b3013
Message ID: <77AD0FDE-829E-49C9-8FE3-259F7C0A5120@argyle.com.au>
Reply To: <537E748F.4010305@radez.hr>
UTC Datetime: 2014-05-22 16:38:18 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 09:38:18 +1000

Raw message

I would like to see a diagram of the network.

This is extremely important as there are a few assumptions being made.

for example, a net mask of 255.255.252.0 in a 192.168.x.x range is not common but also not illegal - it will work but I would class it as advanced networking.
This network configuration gives you a super-net which is fine but unless you know the complete picture, it is easy to have overlapping networks which will cause grase to get confused about where to send packets.

Is it possible for you to draw a picture and post it somewhere and send us a link?
There is just not enough clarity for us to recreate the network topology that you have.

Given that the original intention was to increase the DHCP range, leaving it as a c-class does not meet the original need.
I have a Grase installation with a LAN netmask of 255.255.248.0 which gives me 2046 hosts.
So if the 254 is just not enough then we can fix that.

Dave