2014-09-28 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Daily Reset Time and Coova Chilli Layer 3

Header Data

From: drazen <dr***a@radez.hr>
Message Hash: 4d528efb684648fd1262040920b506864175e3154aae17dca8d715bbb74237c4
Message ID: <5427CD64.7090608@radez.hr>
Reply To: <7b0861c4-c6ea-405c-82cc-1079c4dd7ce3@grasehotspot.org>
UTC Datetime: 2014-09-28 01:57:08 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 10:57:08 +0200

Raw message

Why you need to restart anything?

There is easy way of using static addressing.  Narow Chilli  DHCP from
lower side e.g. "DHCP Start 20" and place your APs here, Give them
static addresses. This way you can access them anytime from radio side
or wired to set them up, reboot or whatever and most important they will
never mess anything in dynamic range.

In fact APs can have any static addrress out of subnet and still will do
the job. They will be not accessible this way.
Dzazen

On 09/28/2014 09:34 AM, Mohammad Javad Ra'adi wrote:
> Hello Tim,
> I have two questions:
> 1) first i need to set the daily reset time to 14. i know the file to
> edit is "/etc/freeradius/perl_modules/SQLCounter.pm" and
> "start_of_day" function but as i searched the mailing list i found a
> similar topic that you said it might not work very well. is it
> possible to do?
> 2) i know that coova chilli can be run on layer 3 and when it's run on
> layer 3 it won't act as dhcp server. i want to know if it's possible
> to start coova chiilli on layer 3(so it won't act as the dhcp) and let
> dnsmasq be the dhcp server? would it make any problems if i run chilli
> on layer 3 with your project? the reason why i want to do this is when
> i need to restart the server or restart the chilli service, the
> chilli's dhcp pool is reset too and it starts to give out ip addresses
> from the beginning of the pool. when a new client(for example windows
> machine) wants to get ip address it says that the client obtained an
> ip address which is already in use by another device). i found out
> that if i restart my access points, they release old ip addresses and
> obtain new ones. i think that dnsmasq can handle dhcp service a lot
> better than coova chilli. am i right?
>
> i have a very simple installation and i'm using the nightly build and
> everything is set up on a single server and i can't add another
> machine to be just dhcp server.
>
> thanks in advance
> https://groups.google.com/a/grasehotspot.org/d/msgid/grase-hotspot/7b0861c4-c6ea-405c-82cc-1079c4dd7ce3%40grasehotspot.org
> <https://groups.google.com/a/grasehotspot.org/d/msgid/grase-hotspot/7b0861c4-c6ea-405c-82cc-1079c4dd7ce3%40grasehotspot.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.