2014-09-28 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Daily Reset Time and Coova Chilli Layer 3

Header Data

From: Timothy White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: e742ccb5afa8eee03d80a9afb60c602f6340901816c96822de5df985484dc056
Message ID: <CAESLx0Lsq3r4M=tzzOMQ+5dgyATbVuN6E44AfK2YsVJFnZdN3w@mail.gmail.com>
Reply To: <7b0861c4-c6ea-405c-82cc-1079c4dd7ce3@grasehotspot.org>
UTC Datetime: 2014-09-28 01:34:41 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 18:34:41 +1000

Raw message

On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 5:34 PM, Mohammad Javad Ra'adi <
pe***t@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Tim,
> I have two questions:
> 1) first i need to set the daily reset time to 14. i know the file to edit
> is "/etc/freeradius/perl_modules/SQLCounter.pm" and "start_of_day" function
> but as i searched the mailing list i found a similar topic that you said it
> might not work very well. is it possible to do?

It should work. Just not tested so your results may vary.

> 2) i know that coova chilli can be run on layer 3 and when it's run on
> layer 3 it won't act as dhcp server. i want to know if it's possible to
> start coova chiilli on layer 3(so it won't act as the dhcp) and let dnsmasq
> be the dhcp server? would it make any problems if i run chilli on layer 3
> with your project? the reason why i want to do this is when i need to
> restart the server or restart the chilli service, the chilli's dhcp pool is
> reset too and it starts to give out ip addresses from the beginning of the
> pool. when a new client(for example windows machine) wants to get ip
> address it says that the client obtained an ip address which is already in
> use by another device). i found out that if i restart my access points,
> they release old ip addresses and obtain new ones. i think that dnsmasq can
> handle dhcp service a lot better than coova chilli. am i right?

I've not played with Coova Chilli as Layer 3. In theory, if it was Layer 3,
dnsmasq could handle the DHCP. If the problem is your AP's ip addresses,
you can give them "fixed" IP's using RADIUS, I'll have to try and find more
details on that though. The better option though for AP's is to have them
static on a different subnet, so clients can't easily connect to their
admin interface.
How often do you restart the server or coova chilli. Normally, a restart is
handled rather well, with any active clients IP's being "retained" for them
as long as traffic is still flowing. (Coova Chilli detects the traffic, and
internally does a DHCP lease so it matches where the traffic is coming
from, at least that's been my experience, I didn't write coova chilli so
could be wrong). I'd aim to restart as few times as possible, and then it
wouldn't be such a big issue.

When I get time, I intend to try and get Layer 3 working as an option.