2015-03-19 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] SSL Problem

Header Data

From: Timothy White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: d03f1a798bcaee62105845c43013b4219d9f69584ff91c15e1ffb426a084f3ec
Message ID: <CAESLx0J4ENmDf1qE3Z15riRe4+X=Y-x5sXEtqvPb0j3UeBckbA@mail.gmail.com>
Reply To: <cd90a7a6-dafd-4368-836b-fed2ef2e8205@grasehotspot.org>
UTC Datetime: 2015-03-19 22:33:54 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 15:33:54 +1000

Raw message

Hi Domingo

Due to the way SSL works, it's impossible for us to redirect HTTPS sites.
The only way to do HTTPS redirection is by getting your clients to install
a SSL CA certificate on their computer that says you are an authoritative
CA, and to allow you to "Man In The Middle" their connections. This breaks
SSL (as it's no longer secure) and so I will not write the feature in. It
is an unfortunate downside to SSL, but security over convenience is much
better.

You'll find on mobile devices, this isn't an issue as the mobile device
will detect the hotspot and prompt for login. Some desktop OS's can now do
this as well.