2015-08-31 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Grase alternative running on a router?

Header Data

From: Timothy White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: a129701d19484aae2bb038b036232a4c720b123f37b9a71793905518858a963d
Message ID: <CAESLx0++ZSFcEuvokiupbEyVG4MBx2yRZkKwUFEE4=c3oZLtAg@mail.gmail.com>
Reply To: <2192692d-97aa-4916-9ed8-84d733a57905@grasehotspot.org>
UTC Datetime: 2015-08-31 21:45:27 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2015 11:45:27 +0700

Raw message

With all the low power, cheap single board computers, you can often
run Grase Hotspot on a small board. The RaspberriPi should work,
however you need to find the right USB Wireless that can do AP mode. I
use a Cubietruck which works ok. It's ARM based. The Banana PI Router
Board is currently on my desk waiting for proper testing, but initial
testing shows it runs fine.

I did have plans to make a "CoovaAP" style version, where only Coova
Chilli runs on the router, and the rest runs on a server in the cloud.
I've not put any time into this, and probably won't for a few years at
the current pace.

I have a number of ALIX boards that have been running for 3+ years
without needing much attention (only issue is I put a rather small CF
card in them, so they are limited on space). They are x86 based, so
very easy to work with. Rather price compared to the other single
board PC's now available, but due to the industrial nature of them,
they are rock solid reliable. The only problems I had turned out to be
one location knocking the powerpack out of the socket regularly.

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 5:50 AM, sirtet <th***r@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am looking for a captive portal that can run on a small device like a
> router (or a raspberryPI acting as such), not needing a full pc.
> Found CoovaAP, but that seems a dead project.
> Does anyone know an alternative that aims to be an easy all in one solution
> for non-pro's, like Grase or CoovaAP does?
>
> Or a recommendation for minimal x86 hardware? Low power and low cost is what
> i aim at.

> https://groups.google.com/a/grasehotspot.org/d/msgid/grase-hotspot/2192692d-97aa-4916-9ed8-84d733a57905%40grasehotspot.org.

Thread