2015-11-23 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Network access

Header Data

From: Timothy White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: b4471daa0c9c2bee1b871405eeb05ca169d6205ccbb854c5be386e5c88f02ff9
Message ID: <CAESLx0LB36UWxoeD-hDYhJOZmrBdF4tT_JNFkzfc_VD7HS9Pdw@mail.gmail.com>
Reply To: <5652C869.3000904@radez.hr>
UTC Datetime: 2015-11-23 02:02:55 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 19:02:55 +1000

Raw message

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 6:03 PM, Dražen Žuvela <dr***a@radez.hr>
wrote:

> Maybe I don't see correctly, since all my esxi servers have 4 NIC bonded
> as one. They are representing many IP addresses but always in same subnet.

VLAN's. Or multiple NIC's

Virtual hosting environments can often have multiple VLAN's, all separate,
keeping the VM's apart from each other, while only having a few NIC's to
the switches, which then use VLAN's to keep it all apart. I've actually run
Grase on a raspberry pi, using VLAN's with the WAN on one VLAN, and the
rest of the network on another VLAN. This allowed me to use a single NIC on
the raspberry pi to route everything through Grase. It does mean you have
traffic going in and out of the same NIC, but in this case the internet
connection was a slow satellite, so that didn't effect throughput.