2016-05-11 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Device suitable with grase 3.8.0 release

Header Data

From: Timothy White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: f6e80400f68bed7f6c932b62f28f1924d56b178c1b96726778e71e03b19f4976
Message ID: <CAESLx0+tmrDn_139wP8cWA8zzHGyTiPd1ns8SgY=v8ykHMxi4Q@mail.gmail.com>
Reply To: <50bcb8da-7997-46f9-9a7f-a4f6e0ae27ed@grasehotspot.org>
UTC Datetime: 2016-05-11 02:52:35 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 19:52:35 +1000

Raw message

Hi Le

With 3.8 you still need some sort of computer to run the Hotspot. The
computer can also be the wireless access point if supported. For example
I've used PC Engines ALIX boards, and I expect their newer boards would
work as well. This allows you to have an "all in one" device.

Otherwise, have a look at
https://grasehotspot.org/documentation/hardware-setup/ for details on how
the hardware is often setup when using a separate WiFi Access point to the
Grase Hotspot server.

Regarding number of simultaneous access, that's totally reliant on the
available processing power and network bandwidth. I believe we have had
users reporting 100's potentially 1000's of connections with a decent
server. Of course, big setups like that have many WiFi access points coming
into a single server with plenty of bandwidth.

In general, if the device you are using as a server can route the entire
capacity of your internet connection, you'll be able to max it out with
clients.

I'm currently trialling a "Mini PC" that you can find on Aliexpress, it's
an i5 with onboard WiFi. Initial impressions are good, although the WiFi
card is only so so only letting me have a single SSID instead of multiple,
no big deal for this install. It'll be more than capable of routing my
25Mbit connection.