2017-12-30 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] IPTABLES Help

Header Data

From: Timothy White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: be1dd7a8c76b595d9b2c731c4f055fa219f743c88248b9c841b2f4317ee80463
Message ID: <CAESLx0LN8HQZ16Tvn-RtoDK6m-ACi6oa9TnNB_2TEeA+mFsCsA@mail.gmail.com>
Reply To: <CAFb3bYCynYZKW=SaSU+cf-DxHw1Z2im1jT5Y8LjZNxnhVPrWYQ@mail.gmail.com>
UTC Datetime: 2017-12-30 19:07:12 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 12:07:12 +1000

Raw message

Hi Sergen

It sounds like the issue is "SMB over NAT". SMB is the windows file
sharing protocol, and it's not designed to work over NAT. Have a look
at https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/afacec9f-fb10-46cc-884e-1cd7877ef1da/accessing-file-shares-over-nat?forum=winserverfiles

I don't think it's actually iptables blocking them (unless you've
customised the default rules), but rather an issue with NAT or
Connection tracking (part of NAT). Why your iptables rules work, I'm
not entirely sure, but I'm fairly sure they break authentication
(allow everything through without authentication), and so you may as
well not have the Hotspot at all.

The hotspot isn't really designed for things like file sharing through
the hotspot, but controlling connections to the internet. Is there a
particular reason you are trying to do this from a client over the
hotspot? Could you instead install SMB on the Hotspot server, so the
clients can access a local SMB server (you'll need to allow the ports
for SMB to the hotspot server)??

Thread