2011-10-12 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Mobile Logins!?!? iOS - Version 3.6.2 - PLEASE HELP TEST

Header Data

From: Tim White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: a8a4577fa4b421bf20827c1729319220dd0c1f0389c99701e890c75fe2c908da
Message ID: <4E965271.4050909@gmail.com>
Reply To: <4E9618FD.2030506@gmail.com>
UTC Datetime: 2011-10-12 19:52:33 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 12:52:33 +1000

Raw message

On 13/10/11 08:47, OlotWireless wrote:
> Hello Tim:
> We try update now to 3.6.2, but still in 3.6.1. (??)
>
> Also, we detect the "coova-chilli" update blocked by system update and
> we can solve it with:
>
> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Thanks for that. I believe that the automatic updates will force the
update, but I didn't realise that for manual updates you'd need that.
Thanks.

> About:
>
> /The other major change, is before if the popup window opened correctly,
> it would automatically redirect you to your site. This no longer
> happens. ALL auto redirects are disabled, requiring the user to now
> click to continue to their site. This minor inconvenience has actually
> meant the login system works on more systems now. It appears to even
> work on iOS from my quick tests!! :-D/
> In my opinion is not a good idea. Many of my new users will ask "and
> now???" when connect to sistem for first one...

I'm hoping that when they login, it's clear what they need to do. If a
popup is blocked, it shows them an "alert" above the link saying the
popup was blocked. (Although some browsers don't even let you detect
that part). The link specifically says that clicking the link will open
a status window and continue to their site (and gives the truncated url).

Have a try and see what you think. It's a toss up between a minor
inconvenience for users, and the ability for the login system to work on
more systems! Although, if the new Mobile login system works well, I'll
look at how I can make the current login work better using some of that
rewrite.

> Many thanks for your fine work Tim.

Your welcome.