2012-02-12 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] squid and opendns

Header Data

From: Tim White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: 0720853aebe60e854c06611f181daaa5a98bf55592850820756891560e95e662
Message ID: <4F38B091.4000803@gmail.com>
Reply To: <8D6C90B6121A464AB16475F2E588C1C3@PC>
UTC Datetime: 2012-02-12 23:41:21 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 16:41:21 +1000

Raw message

On 11/02/12 19:01, Oscar Saiz wrote:
> Hi Tim,
> firstly thanks for your answer and It's clear for me now but I have
> others questions.
> You say that the "Grase Hotspot is installed with OpenDns family
> filter" but should I configure my DNS router too or it's not
> necessary? I don't know if it's possible that someone could change his
> DNS and he could avoid the OpenDNS.
> Second thing is that I'll use your Grase Hotspot in a little school
> and I think that I'll had about 300 people trying to connect to the
> Internet. Could I still use this OpenDNS? Because I don't know if it
> is only for home network.

There are some firewall rules built into the Hotspot, so if someone
tries to use another DNS server, it transparently forces them to use the
local one. So no settings need to be changed on your router.
Regarding using the OpenDNS Family filter. I was unable to get an answer
from the last time I contacted them, so have been including it as the
default DNS pending a response from them. I'll try and track it down
again. You are probably best off looking into their "paid" services,
which I'm sure includes discounts for schools. (On their main page, they
boast that 1 in 3 schools in the US use them, so who knows, maybe they
provide it free?)
I've opened a ticket to again try tracking down an answer about OpenDNS
being included by default, and who can use it.