2012-02-08 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Save log on remote server

Header Data

From: Tim White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: 3f6b330441a745110ae622d1b11ca3a286e8feb477f9d6338f1ae54961ebdc18
Message ID: <4F326480.2040706@gmail.com>
Reply To: <201202081012.13506.solbu@solbu.net>
UTC Datetime: 2012-02-08 05:03:12 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 22:03:12 +1000

Raw message

On 08/02/12 19:12, Johnny Solbu wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 February 2012 04:49, Tim White wrote:
>> You also misunderstand a little of what open source means.
> No, the schools /IT administrator/ misunderstand, while Frank on the other hand, which is a friend of mine, understand and prefer it, especially on servers.
Sorry, I blurred the distinction between you and the IT administrators.

> Many people really do believe that Free and open source software is more prone to security issiues because "the hackers" can read teh code and find security holes.
> Obviously they can't find security holes in closed source propriety software, you understand. :-)= ... I have actually heard this argument being made. Hehe.
I've heard it too, too many times.

>> For backup purposes, I recommend backing up the squid logs at least
>> weekly and keeping for up to 12 months (so you can look back and see
>> what was accessed when).
> Unless you happens to live in Norway, in which case you are not allowed to store such logs for any other purpose than to calculate payments for the service or for system stability and security purposes. normaly no longer that 3 weeks. And if you don't need the logs for this purpose, you are not allowed to store them at all.
>
> We have strong privacy laws in this country. :-)=
Even if you explicitly state you are monitoring? Wow. I would have
thought that in a school situation for example, where you state you are
explicitly monitoring, it wouldn't be a problem. For example, if kids
are using the internet for purposes other than they are allowed (i.e.
playing games on the net), then their internet privileges can be
revoked, and hence monitoring is needed to enforce the policy.

> Is it possible to configure the backup routine to delete logs older that X weeks?
Just the squid logs? Just edit /etc/logrotate.d/squid3.grase changing
the "rotate 8" line to the number of weeks you wish to keep. The hotspot
doesn't actually use the squid logs for accounting (just for seeing what
was done in a session), so you can safely disable squid logging if you
need to.
The radius DB logs need to be kept until they are "archived" at the end
of the month. Given that there is no identifying information in those
logs, just traffic and time counters, I'd assume you don't need to worry
about them regarding privacy.

> I'm sorry if my question seem obvious, but I don't have access to the administrative interface, as I'm remotely helping a few friends who is testing the system on separate locations around the country. So I'm thinking out loud.
No problem. These are actually good questions that need to end up in the
FAQ on trac.grasehotspot.org when I get around to it.