2012-02-08 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] Cannot serf the Internet

Header Data

From: Tim White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: f042e15bc037affe58c9ce3d627c2e777c55979d4be449a80f40d969569650c7
Message ID: <4F32EE4B.8020004@gmail.com>
Reply To: <4F3279F0.1050804@lecastellags.com>
UTC Datetime: 2012-02-08 14:51:07 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 07:51:07 +1000

Raw message

On 08/02/12 23:34, Rocco Fusella wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> unfortunately I have the exact same problem. I configured everything on
> ubuntu desktop 386 10.10. when it finishes installing the first time
> works fine but when I turn and I turn the notebook does not work
> anymore. With the laptop I can not browse, nor is it accessible from the
> network. What could be the problem?

Please try updating all your grase related packages. I've found a "bug"
regarding squid and DNS that should be fixed. It seems some upstream DNS
"proxies" (i.e. cable modems) don't always return the correct results
for squid, causing squid to hang trying to resolve the site and hence
the internet appears to not work. As I don't personally have a faulty
modem, I'd only come across this problem once, and for that client I
just forced everyone to use dnsmasq on my gateway. What I've now done,
is force squid to use dnsmasq (that we already force all hotspot clients
to use) which gets around faulty DNS proxies.
(After updating, it's wise to reboot)

Let me know then if you are still having problems.