2012-03-28 - Re: [GRASE-Hotspot] anonymous statistics (was: Are there any Greek users?)

Header Data

From: Timothy White <ti***8@gmail.com>
Message Hash: 0137c3ee25f9fc0be4d8234c0496571450a243d11ff51ae92d59653c40635dfd
Message ID: <CAESLx0K3b_xhjk+-CCNUG356UvOr6VQS5j_xbXitwXKsUkdSNw@mail.gmail.com>
Reply To: <201203290623.52622.solbu@solbu.net>
UTC Datetime: 2012-03-28 22:28:32 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 15:28:32 +1000

Raw message

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Johnny Solbu <so***u@solbu.net> wrote:
> On Thursday 29 March 2012 05:48, Timothy White wrote:
>> I was planning to have it as a separate package
>> and put in the install instructions to install it unless you don't
>> want to participate in that stats.
>
> That would also work. I would however not put it among the general install instructions, as some users might think that it is essential for the hotspot to work. I do think it belongs in the install instructions page, but under it's own section, perhaps at the bottom of the page, to emphasize that it's optional.

I'm sure I'll make it obvious that it's not required.

> May I also suggest a further idea, that might simplify the install instructions.
> You could create a dummy/meta package that will install the other needed packages. In this package, there is not a single file to be installed. The package will simply have the other grase packages as dependencies. This will have the effect that installing this One package will result in the other grase packages and their dependencies beeing installed.
> Let's say the package is called "grase-install". Then the user only have to run "apt-get install grase-install" (after installing grase-repo and updating the package list), and all grase packages will be installed. (The stats package should not be a dependency in this meta package.)
>
> Debian does this. The "build-essentials" package (among others) is such a meta package, which have development packages and tools as dependencies.

This isn't hard to do, and I'm planning on something like this in the
future that also allows a new feature. Basically, there is a "need"
for some people to install a hotspot "server" and then have "clients"
that run off that server (multiple access points for example). I plan
on accommodating this with meta packages and having 3 meta packages.
grase-install-standalone would be what most people would use, and
grase-install-server and grase-install-client would be the separated
ones for people having separate server to client packages. (And the
server and client packages would probably be dependencies for the
standalone package to make it even cleaner).

It's annoying that you can't just download the grase-repo package and
that installs everything, I'm trying to find a way to make an
"installer" that when installed will add the repo, and install all the
required packages from the repo. The main issue is that a debian
package, can't then call another apt-get install while its installing,
so it would probably have to be a shell script that installs
grase-repo, then installs the rest. These are all improvements over
the current system, but hopefully when they are done it'll make life
much easier.

I recently changed the grase-conf-openvpn packages to a new system
that makes life great. Install the package, and during the install it
gets the key signing request signed via the remote server without
having to wait for me to manually do it. It also handles re-installs
better where the hostname hasn't changed, but of course the client key
has. I'll be releasing the server code for that shortly, as I'm sure
it'll be beneficial for anyone trying to automatically setup VPN keys.